Information describing Direct Stafford, PLUS, and Alternative or Private loan programs and how to apply for them is available through the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
Perkins, Nursing, Pharmacy and Health Professions loans are need-based loans awarded by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid as part of eligible students' financial aid packages. If you have been awarded one of these loans, it will be listed on your Financial Aid Award Letter.
Various types of Emergency Loans are available from several University sources. You must apply for an Emergency Loan in person in the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC), 119 William Pitt Union. The lender determines eligibility for emergency funding. These loans are then processed by the Student Payment Center. There may be a waiting period of up to three working days before the funds are released to you.
Reducing or Declining your Loans
If you have a Direct Stafford, PLUS, or Alternative or Private loan and want to reduce the amount of loan or decline it completely, contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid to request the reduction:
- Email the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid from your Pitt email account with your request. Include the following information in your email:
- Your full name and seven-digit student ID number,
- The exact loan you wish to reduce or decline (for example, Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized)
- The academic term(s) you are reducing or declining the aid for (fall, or spring, or fall and spring, or summer),
- The amount you want to reduce the loan by (for example, reduce the loan by $500),
- If you are declining a loan altogether, a statement that you want to decline the loan altogether; or
- Complete a Student Loan Request and Adjustment Form and send it to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid; or
- Go to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid in Alumni Hall in person for assistance in reducing or declining your loans.
Student Payment Center
University of Pittsburgh
G-7 Thackeray Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
8:30 to 4:45 M - Th
9:00 to 4:45 F