The University of Pittsburgh requires all inbound international payments to be registered on our international payment portal (powered by Flywire).
We offer several different payment methods and guarantee the best price on an international wire transfer. This secure payment portal allows you to track the status of your payment and ensures the University can quickly and easily credit the payment to your account – even if the University's banking details change. If you have questions about the University's partnership with Flywire, feel free to contact the Student Payment Center or Flywire's multilingual customer support team.
After you register for classes for the term, you will have charges to pay on your student account and can view them in PittPAY on the Account Activity tab. At that point, you can begin the international payment process:
- Log into PittPAY using the log in buttons at the top of the page.
- Go to the Account Summary or Account Activity tabs and click Make Payment.
- Enter your payment amount. Please do not enter more than you owe. If you do, the excess will be applied as a prepayment for a future term.
- Select International Payment via Flywire as your payment method.
- You will be directed to the international payment portal to create a Flywire account (username and password) and to complete your transaction. You can use their Live Chat, WeChat, Skype, and other help options during the process.
- Flywire will provide you with detailed bank instructions, an Authorization Letter, and additional documents for countries that require it, for you to deliver to your home bank so they will release the funds to the University of Pittsburgh.
- You will be able to track your payment in the international payment portal as it makes its way to the University. Once your payment status is “Delivered,” you will see the payment credited to your student account in PittPAY within two business days. The credit will appear on the Account Activity tab where you will see your balance reduced.
Frequently Asked Questions
Wait until you have registered for classes and charges appear on your account in PittPAY.
Yes, you or one of your Authorized Users can make an international payment on your student account.
We can only accept funds that are needed to pay for the charges on your student account. We cannot accept payment for other costs such as off-campus housing, rent, food, utilities, etc. You must fund these living expenses directly to your own personal bank account, not through the University of Pittsburgh and not through Flywire. Therefore, your payment should not exceed the amount of tuition and fees posted to your student account for the current academic term. Any excess amount will be posted as a pre-payment for a future term. You will be notified by email if that happens. If you make an overpayment for the current term, but you will not be attending the University in future terms, we will return the overpayment to you through Flywire, who will send the funds back to your originating bank. You may be assessed a processing fee for the return.
The University's banking details are subject to change. Even if you are unable to use the international payment portal for your payment, you must still contact Flywire to register a direct wire payment from your bank to the University's bank. This will ensure that you are using the University's most up-to-date banking information and helps us identify your payment once we receive it so we can post it to your student account right away.
If you already have a checking account in the U.S., you may make payments on your student account in PittPAY by electronic check (eCheck) for no fee. If you elect to pay with a credit card, or with a debit card linked to a U.S. Checking account, a non-refundable convience fee of 2.75% will apply to each payment.