Students can authorize their parents, guardians, spouses, or others access to their student account in PittPAY. Login to PittPAY and select Manage Authorized Users on the Account Summary tab. Authorized Users can:
- Discuss your account with the Student Payment Center.
- View the account in PittPAY and make online payments.
- Enroll in an optional PittPAY Payment Plan on your behalf. (Note, you can only have one active payment plan per academic term, so either you or one of your Authorized Users can be the payment plan owner.)
- Generate a Statement of Account by Term, on demand, to request tuition reimbursement from employers, 401K plans, 529 and College Savings Plans, etc.
- Obtain account details to print or save, for a range of academic terms or dates.
The University supports students' rights to privacy under the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Therefore, we cannot discuss students' account or payment plan information with anyone except the individuals the student establishes as Authorized Users in PittPAY. Students may have an unlimited number of Authorized Users, but must create each one individually. For example, students cannot include all family members under one Authorized User called “The Smith Family.”
Creating Authorized Users
Students initiate the process to create their Authorized Users by logging into PittPAY and selecting Manage Authorized Users on the Account Summary tab.
Individuals who wish to become an Authorized User on their student’s account can initiate the process as well. First, the individual must create a PittPAY account, then follow the instructions to generate a request to their student to be granted access to the student’s account. The individual will receive an email notification once the student confirms or denies the request.
Parent PLUS Loan Borrowers
When a Parent PLUS Loan applies to the student account, it may create a credit balance. If the parent borrower elected on the PLUS Loan application to have the credit balance sent to the parent, the parent should first become an Authorized User in PittPAY, then create their own eRefund profile in PittPAY. Authorized Users who are Parent PLUS loan borrowers should login to PittPAY, then Select an eRefund Preference.
Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)